Monday, February 11, 2013

Thoughts on "A reading of John 14:6 - Brian McLaren"

Here is an interesting article by Brian McLaren called "A reading of John 14:6".

http://www.brianmclaren.net/emc/archives/McLaren%20-%20John%2014.6.pdf

Brian McLaren's take on John 14:6 generally sits well with me. If only more people in the Christian circles take the time to examine that verse in the whole literary and social context like he did, then they will understand better what Jesus could have meant by those words "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me".

I like how McLaren explored the chapter just before John 14 that put in place the context of Jesus' conversation with his disciples about his imminent suffering and death, that led to his statement in John 14:6. I agree Jesus was referring to his destination in terms of suffering and death in the immediate future which he must bear alone, and the disciples could not follow, until some time in future when they would follow his footsteps (willingly).

My take on the "Father's house" is similar to McLaren's in the sense it may refer to a physical manifestation of the kingdom of God on earth. This is revealed by Jesus' words later in the chapter when he said:
"At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you."
(John 14:20)
I believe that is when they received the revelation via the Holy Spirit that they are one with Jesus/God in consciousness and God is in them and with them. They will realise that they are sitting with Christ in the heavenly places (that is, in higher consciousness).

I think McLaren has asked an important question on "Jesus is the way to what?" because different people will answer differently, depending on what they are looking for in life. For example, if people are looking for the four noble truths, then Jesus is not the way but Buddha. In the case of the disciples, they are looking for the way to the Father whom Jesus often spoke about. In his reply, I could almost sense a bit of exasperation when Jesus told Philip that he would have known by then that the Father was in him, and by seeing him, they would have already seen the father. After all, in John 10, Jesus also said he and the father are one.
"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works."
(John 14:9-10)
So, the Father is not someone up there in the sky who can only be seen somewhere in future but is already present in the here and now, in the person of Jesus standing right before them. The disciples had thought the Father was separate from Jesus, but Jesus made it clear that he and the Father are one. In fact, they had already seen the Father without realising it; Jesus had to confirm it by telling them that they knew and had seen the Father because they knew and had seen him.
"If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him."
(John 14:7)
Later in his conversation with his disciples, Jesus went one step further and told them not only he and the Father are not separate from each other, the disciples are also not separate from him or the Father, because they are all one. The Holy Spirit would open the eyes of their heart to see their oneness in their consciousness.
"At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you."
(John 14:20)
In retrospect, I am glad Jesus' disciples were not afraid to ask questions; even though they might look silly to many of today's readers of the bible, their bold and honest questions to Jesus actually gave him the opportunity to clarify many things about himself, about the Father, about them, and so on. In a way, their questions and Jesus' answers serve as an essential FAQ that readers would appreciate. In a sense, the disciples might represent us who would also have thought of similar questions to ask Jesus. Yet in another sense, Jesus might represent us answering our own questions because Christ the living wisdom is living in us and as us, and having the mind of Christ, we too can find the answers we seek within ourselves through silent contemplation, listening to the still, small voice of Love. And when we read or listen and learn from others, we can go by what resonates with us that we have already intuitively known in our heart to be true for us.

Related posts
John 14 What did Jesus mean when He said that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life?
What if Jesus has come back many times since the Roman Empire?

No comments:

Post a Comment