Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Holy Condescension? No Way!

Jesus healed a blind man. (Luke 18)
While reading some posts in the Internet just now, I was reflecting to myself that I have a pet peeve - I think those who like to describe God as being the Almighty Being who condescends to lower Himself to man's level may run the risk of being condescending themselves since whatever they believe about God, they also become like Him.

I'm thinking why would God be condescending to His own image? God doesn't have an ego problem, so perhaps the word 'condescend' should be removed from the theological vocabulary about God. We don't find Jesus being condescending to anyone, not even a child. Instead, He lifted up those who are lowly, and embraced children who came to Him.

Maybe my mindset has changed too - in the past, I wouldn't think much about people describing God as the Holy One who condescends, but after having been meditating on how God and us are one and how we share the same divine nature with Him, I am learning to see God as divine Love without any trace of pride or ego or condescending spirit in Him. After all, Jesus described Himself as meek and lowly (not meek and mild, as J. B. Phillips pointed out in his book "Your God Is Too Small").

I'm renewing my mind even as I am sharing this and articulating my thoughts, as I also need to continue to behold His glory and grace, since I too need to be transformed in my thinking, and be transformed into His same image, since I have been religious in the past as well. There's a certain feeling of freedom and lightness of being in being conscious of our oneness with God and with one another in the universe - we are all on equal level, sharing the same humanity and divinity - no one is greater or lesser than one another. I believe this is the oneness that Jesus taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment