Saturday, June 30, 2012

Finding peace in the midst of sadness

Someone said:
"Sometimes I think somehow the foundation of life is sadness. Or maybe it's a longing. I may find something that feels good and I enjoy but it seems there is always something more.
I'm finding that to live at peace with life and thus experience it as rich, I need to cultivate a certain detachment.
A letting go of need and want, a relinquishment to the moment so to speak, a "forced" or at least a chosen peace."
 Like what the post says, the foundation of life could be sadness or a longing. It reminds me of John O'Donohue's writing about the eternal longing and belonging. In real life, I think sadness often has the ability to connect people at a deeper level than happiness because we are touched forever when someone understands our griefs and sorrows when we experience pain and sadness. Jesus entered into people's sufferings many a times, such as weeping with Mary and Martha over the death of their brother Lazarus, and the cross is also his way of experiencing our shame, rejection, pain and fears, so that whenever in real life we go through a challenge, we can look at Jesus and know we are not alone in our sufferings, and we can take comfort in knowing someone understands what we go through because he has gone through the pain himself. In our world, whenever natural disasters or tragedies happen, people who go through similar sufferings often band together to support and care for one another.

At an even deeper level, I believe there is an immovable sense of inner peace and calm underneath the happiness and sadness we experience in life. Like what the post says, cultivating a certain detachment may allow us to experience this chosen peace. I think this will help us not to be crushed when feelings of sadness are overwhelming, especially if the tragedy is severe. I believe the reason Jesus prayed at the garden of Gethsemane on the night before he was crucified is because he needed to find that inner strength and peace in order to face such an emotionally and physically ordeal later on. When Jesus had been strengthened on the inside he was able to face the trials and crucifixion somewhat in a detached manner, and was able to focus on loving people even in the midst of his sufferings, such as comforting a dying thief on the cross. In the same way. I believe we all have that inner strength and fortitude that anchors our soul to peace even as we experience sufferings in life, which enables us to help ourselves and others find meaning and beauty in life.

I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows.
And I believe that somewhere in the darkest night a candle glows.
I believe for anyone who goes astray someone will come show them the way.
Yes I believe, Oh I believe!
I believe above the storm the smallest prayer will be heard.
I believe that someone in the great somewhere hears every word.
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry or touch a leaf or see the sky,
Then I know why I believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment